I have been doing my job for a long time and do not want to go back to college to get a vocational qualification. Are there any other options for me?

Depending on the type of work you carry out you may be able to undergo Onsite Assessment and Training (OSAT).  This process assesses  existing skills and experience and translates this into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ or SVQ. Assessments are carried out whilst on site so no need to take time off to go to college.

There is also the Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA).  This is a fast route available through the CITB awarding body, CSkills Awards. It is for workers with a minimum of 5 years experience and who do not need further training. The skills needed to pass the NVQ are included in one task which is observed by an approved assessor. EWPA is currently only available for level 2 qualifications in certain trades.

Contact your college/training centre for further information regarding these options.


Go to the full FAQ list