I’m using Windows 7 and when I present a CSCS smartcard, Windows prompts me to install a driver. Why is this?
This is because under Windows 7, Microsoft has implemented Plug and Play support for SmartCards. You can either simply ignore or dismiss the prompt to install a driver, or alternatively you can disable the SmartCard Plug and Play service by following the instruction below.
To disable SmartCard Plug and Play service on Windows 7.
1. On the Windows 7 computer, click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the console tree under Computer Configuration, click Administrative Templates.
3. In the details pane, double-click Windows Components, and then double-click Smart Card.
4. Right-click Turn on Smart Card Plug and Play service, and then click Edit.
5. Click Disabled, and then click OK.
6. You will need to reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.
For enterprise deployments, SmartCard Plug and Play can be disabled by deploying a Group Policy. For information about administrative templates, see (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=152390).
Further information about windows 7 and smartcard Plug and Play can be found here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979547(WS.10).aspx
Go to the full FAQ list