Skip Content

Are you paying too much for your CSCS card?

Published: June 15, 2017

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is urging employers and construction workers to be vigilant when dealing with third party companies that offer CSCS card application services. Feedback from cardholders has revealed wide discrepancies in the prices charged for card application services.

The official price of a CSCS card is £36. In the majority of cases applicants must also pass the separate CITB health, safety and environment test which costs £21.

However, CSCS has received reports that some organisations are charging more than £150 to book the CITB HSE test and apply for a CSCS card.

The quickest and cheapest way to apply for a CSCS card is to call the CSCS contact centre on 0344 994 4777. The majority of cards ordered directly from CSCS get despatched the next working day.

The CITB health, safety and environment test can be booked online via the CSCS website or by calling 0344 994 4488.

CSCS’s Communications and Public Affairs Manager Alan O’Neile said: “There is only one official CSCS website. No other websites offering CSCS card services are operating on behalf of CSCS. The official CSCS website is easily identifiable by ensuring you go to

“If you are charged more than £36 for a card or £21 for the separate CITB Health, Safety & Environment test you should ask why?

“For some workers and employers, third party organisations provide additional services which make it worth paying the extra charges. But if you are paying more please check that you understand what additional services you will receive and that you are happy to pay for them.”

CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required qualifications and training for the job they do. By ensuring workers have the correct training and qualifications CSCS can play its part in improving safety and efficiency on UK construction sites.

Visit the Cardfinder tool on the CSCS website to help you decide which CSCS card to apply for and which CITB Health, Safety & Environment test you need to pass.