- What help is available for the self-employed?
CITB grant funding is available to CITB Registered employers who are up to date with their Levy Returns.
Employers can apply for this grant for all directly employed staff on the payroll, business owners and partners, and all subcontractors. Those self-employed or sub-contracted on projects should speak to the primary contractor in the first instance regarding grant funding.
For further information, please visit our IA Grant Information page.
- Which professional body memberships and levels of membership are accepted for a CSCS card??
A full list of CSCS-approved professional bodies is available via the CSCS website: www.cscs.uk.com/professional-bodies/
Further information on how to apply for a Professionally Qualified Persons card is available at: www.cscs.uk.com/pqp
- Which academic qualifications are accepted for a CSCS card?
The AQP card is available to people who have completed certain construction related degrees, HNDs, HNCs, CIOB Certificates as well as certain NEBOSH diplomas and certificates.
Visit the Card Finder tool and search by Qualification to find out if your academic qualification is accepted for the AQP card.
- How are specific industries affected, such as roofing?
For roofing occupations, there is the NVQ and SVQ route available and also the NFRC Experienced Roofer RoofCert Accreditation. Further information is available via the RoofCERT website.
- What is changing with Industry Accreditation?
Cards issued under Industry Accreditation (IA) are being withdrawn and cannot be renewed via this method.
- Will I have to do the N/SVQ again to renew my CSCS card?
No, N/SVQ’s generally are lifelong qualifications so once they are completed, they do not need to be completed again.
- Would I need to take time off work?
No, SVQ/NVQs are completed in the workplace, however, you will need some time to spend with your assessor, planning the assessment and feeding back their assessment of your evidence and/or work.
- Won't it take me years to complete an N/SVQ?
S/NVQs can be achieved in a minimum of 14 weeks, but usually takes between 6-12 months from registration though to receiving your certificate. The time taken will depend on the availability of evidence, for example an experienced manager with numerous years’ experience could complete it in a shorter period of time, whereas an inexperienced candidate will take more time – no two cases are the same. As this is an assessment rather than a training course, you will work with your assessor to collate evidence of your skills via a range of assessment methods.
- Do I have to go back to college to complete my assessment?
No, this assessment is completed in the workplace and in many cases remotely. As you are likely to be a highly experienced worker, the process should be relatively simple and there are many ways to show evidence of your competence, including:
- A Professional Discussion
- Knowledge Evidence Questions.
- Reflective accounts
- Witness Testimonies (confirming previous workplace activities undertaken),
- Product Evidence, e.g. minutes of meetings, RAMS, products of work
- Why are the SSSTS and SMSTS qualifications not accepted for a CSCS card?
These courses are three and five-day CITB courses that are predominantly focused on health and safety and are not occupational or competence based. As a result, they are not accepted as part of CSCS card applications.