Skip Content

HSE Test and Exemptions

To apply for a CSCS card you must have passed the appropriate version of the CITB Health safety and environment (HSE) test, within the last two years.

Applicants can use the CSCS Card Finder to find out which version of the CITB HSE test applies to their occupation.

The aim of the test is to examine knowledge across a wide range of topics to improve safety and productivity on site. It is usually taken as a PC-based touch screen test.


You can book the CITB Health, safety and environment Test here. The test costs £21.

If the person taking the test needs additional support e.g. accessibility or literacy please call the booking line on 0344 994 4488.

Revision Materials

A range of materials is available to help you revise and practice for the CITB Health, safety and environment Test. They are available from most high street and online booksellers or you can find out more here or by calling 0344 994 4488.  You can also download revision apps from here.

For further information on preparing for the test, including the sections within the revision book that you need to revise click here.


Exemptions to taking a CITB Health, Safety & Environment test apply if:

1. You hold a SOLAS card:

CSCS has a mutual recognition agreement with SOLAS (previously known as FAS (Eire) Safepass which acts as an exemption to the Operative or Specialist CITB Health and Safety Test requirement providing that it has been completed within 2 years of the application being made.

Please note that SOLAS is not acceptable as an exemption to the Supervisor or Manager and Professional (MAP) level CITB Health, Safety and Environment tests.

2. You have commenced a recognised apprenticeship:

Applicants for Apprentice cards do not need to take the CITB H,S &E test if they have completed the health and safety requirements relevant to their Apprenticeship Managing Agency prior to applying for the card, if you have:

  • A letter or email from the Managing Agency of your apprenticeship (which must be clearly identified that they are a Managing Agency) confirming that you have met the Managing Agency’s Health and Safety requirements
  • A certificate for a one day Health and Safety Awareness course
  • A Health and Safety unit included in your induction or initial qualification

If you have none of the above then you will need to take the CITB Health, Safety & Environment test before applying for a CSCS card.

Before the 2nd September 2019, applicants who had completed a construction related S/NVQ within the last 2 years were exempt from taking the CITB Health, Safety & Environment test. This exemption has now been withdrawn. More information about the withdrawal of this exemption can be found here.


Cards issued after 9th Decemeber 2019 will not have the gold HS&E Tested holofoil on the front of the card. The gold HS&E Tested holofoil was previously printed on the cards of applicants who applied with a valid CITB Health, Safety and Environment test. Applicants who applied with an exemption to the HSE test recieved cards without the gold HS&E Tested holofoil.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.