Skip Content

Industry Accreditation

All Industry Accreditation (IA) cards issued from 1st Jan 2020 will expire on 31st Dec 2024 and cannot be replaced using IA. This is to meet industry requirements, which state that all construction industry card schemes must operate with nationally recognised qualifications in place for all occupations.

If you have an Industry Accreditation card, the rear of your physical CSCS card will state ‘Industry Accreditation’. This will also be stated on your virtual card should you use My CSCS.

The guidance below is designed to help you understand your next steps in replacing your IA card, which will depend on your occupation and what qualifications you may hold.

If you do not visit site regularly, or you have moved into an office-based role you may no longer require a card.

Those needing to obtain a qualification DO NOT need to attend college. The SVQ/NVQ (S/NVQ) can be achieved via various routes and CITB grants may be available for employers to support with the cost of the qualification.

Those looking to find a training provider should note that CSCS does not provide or operate training, courses or qualifications of any kind.

Click on the relevant image below for guidance on replacing your card.

I hold a Black Manager card                                             I hold a Gold Supervisor card






I hold a Blue Skilled Worker card                                        I hold a Gold Advanced Craft card






Industry Accreditation FAQs

  • Why is Industry Accreditation being withdrawn?
  • At the beginning of 2015 the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) announced via the Industrial Strategy: Construction 2025, that industry, including trade associations, contractors, clients and government, should specify and promote card schemes displaying the CSCS logo with no equivalents accepted.

    This is known as the One Industry Logo action. Among the requirements set out by the CLC is that all construction industry card schemes must operate with nationally recognised qualifications (usually NVQ/SVQs) in place for all occupations.

  • How do I go about gaining a non-IA card?
  • Those currently on Industry Accreditation who require a CSCS card may already have the requisite qualification or professional membership to renew their card or move onto an Academically or Professionally Qualified Person card, without undertaking further assessment.

    Individuals should follow the guidance and interactive flowcharts available at

  • What help is available for those self-employed?
  • CITB grant funding is available to CITB Registered employers who are up to date with their Levy Returns.

    Employers can apply for this grant for all directly employed staff on the payroll, business owners and partners, and all sub-contractors. Those self-employed or sub-contracted on projects should speak to the primary contractor in the first instance regarding grant funding.

  • How much will it cost to complete an experienced worker assessment?
  • The cost is set by individual providers so you may need to ring around providers to check prices. In many cases CITB have Grants available for completing S/NVQs.

  • How long will it take to complete an S/NVQ?
  • S/NVQs can be achieved in a minimum of 14 weeks, but usually takes between 6-12 months from registration though to receiving your certificate. The time taken will depend on the availability of evidence, for example an experienced manager with numerous years’ experience could complete it in a shorter period of time, whereas an inexperienced candidate will take more time – no two cases are the same. As this is an assessment rather than a training course, you will work with your assessor to collate evidence of your skills via a range of assessment methods.

  • Do I need to take time off work?
  • No, S/NVQs are completed in the workplace, however, you will need some time to spend with your assessor, planning the assessment and feeding back their assessment of your evidence and/or work.

  • Will I have to do the N/SVQ again to renew my CSCS cards in 5 years?
  • No, S/NVQs generally are lifelong qualifications so once they are completed, they do not need to be completed again.