Basic Skills Green card
CSCS no longer accepts or issues the Basic Skills card, having stopped accepting new applications and renewals on 3rd September 2018. All existing cards will remain valid until their expiry.
The decision to withdraw the Basic Skills card was a practical step towards achieving the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) requirement of ensuring nationally recognised qualifications are in place for all construction related occupations.
The training qualifications previously accepted for the Basic Skills card do not meet the CLC’s requirements. For further information on the CLC requirements go to www.cscs.uk.com/clc
For former Basic Skills cardholders and would-be new applicants, the following options are available:
- Apply for the Green Labourer card. Applicants will be required to hold the RQF Level 1/SCQF Level 4 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment qualification (or recognised alternative) and have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test within the last 2 years. For further information on the Labourer card, and alternative courses accepted, click here.
- Apply for a skilled card. Individuals who already hold recognised technical qualifications, academic qualification certificates or proof of membership of a CSCS approved professional body can apply for a Skilled card. For more information, click here.
- Register for a construction related NVQ/SVQ Level 2 or above and apply for a Trainee or Experienced Worker card. Applicants must provide evidence they are registered onto an NVQ/SVQ and have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test within the last 2 years. To find out which qualifications are accepted for specific occupations, use our card finder.
- Register for an Apprenticeship in their trade and apply for an Apprentice card. To apply for this card applicants must provide evidence they are registered onto a recognised apprenticeship, please see the full list of apprenticeships here.
CSCS will accept one of the following health and safety tests/courses for the Apprentice card:
- A CITB Health, safety and environment test pass from within the last 2 years
- A completion certificate for a one-day Construction Health and Safety Awareness course
- A Certificate of Unit Credit showing completion of the Construction Health and Safety unit included in your induction or initial qualification.