Due to Covid-19 our contact centre staff are working from home.
The telephone lines are open to provide guidance on applications, but we are unable to take credit card payments over the phone.
This means all applications must be made via the online service.
Thank you for your support during this time.
Validating the CITB Health, safety and environment (HS&E) test
To apply for CSCS cards you will need to enter each applicant’s CITB HS&E test ID, which is found on their test pass certificate, into the online application form. This is so you can validate the applicant’s HS&E test.
Entering the applicant’s National Insurance Number as well will also help the majority of tests to validate.
The CITB HS&E test ID will begin with CITB00.
If you are unable to validate a test despite entering the applicant’s CITB HS&E test ID and National Insurance number, click the “Your CITB Testing ID Doesn’t Validate or Don’t Have your Testing ID” button and enter the applicant’s postcode. This must be the postcode that the training centre was given when the applicant took their test, so it may be the postcode of a previous address or your business address.
Due to CITB data issues, a minority of tests still won’t validate.
If you can’t validate a test, you will be prompted to upload the applicant’s photo. Please make sure that the photo meets CSCS’ photo requirements. You will then be able to click “Save and add another” or “Proceed to Payment” to continue your Employer application.
Employers who wish to apply for CSCS cards must now create an Employer account via CSCS online.
You can do this by selecting the ‘Employer’ checkbox when registering your account.
Employers, Partners and Third parties can now process single applications as well as multiple applications, subject to the following conditions:
- Bulk applications are only available online – not via the telephone
- Payment must be made by payment card – payment on account is coming soon
- The individual employees email addresses need to be provided – if the employee already has a CSCS account, the email you provide must match their existing account email
Before you begin an online application, please ensure you:
- Have a scanned copy of each workers qualification certificate, or proof that they are registered to complete a recognised construction related qualification relevant to their occupation
- Have the test ID number from each workers CITB Health, safety and environment (HS&E) test. This can be found at the top of their pass certificate
- Know the type of CITB HS&E test each worker completed: There are several tests available, the correct test must be selected from the drop-down list. The type of test can also be found at the top of their pass certificate
- Provide the correct personal details for each CITB HS&E test, including the workers date of birth, surname (as on the test certificate) and national insurance number
- Have a credit or debit card to pay the £36 application fee (per card).
All CSCS cards cost £36 and payment must be made using a payment card.
The process is as follows:
- Employer enters their payment card details
- A total amount is pre-authorised on the card – payment is not. For example, if the employer applies for 10 cards, £360 is held on the card
- Each individual applicant will receive a welcome email with a temporary password. It would be helpful if the employer encourages their employees to look out for this email and follow the steps on the screen
- CSCS will process each application individually. Applications are approved or rejected as per the usual process
- If an application is declined, or additional information requested, the employer will be advised via email
- Payment will be taken for all approved cards and be sent for printing if either:
All cards are approved, or 7 days has passed after the application is submitted.
- A receipt will be issued to the employer. Payment will only be taken for approved applications. Payment will not be taken for any declined applications.
- If additional information is requested by CSCS, it is important to respond within 7 days of the date of the initial application, otherwise the application will be declined and a new application will be required.
Payment by account
Payment via prepaid accounts is coming soon. Further information on CSCS’s plans to introduce prepaid accounts is available here.
The quickest way to get in touch is via your new CSCS online account. If you already have an account, please login and select “Query” on the top menu, enter your details, and a member of the team will come back to you soon.
If you do not have an online account, then please call 0344 994 4777* (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday).
*(Please note: Our phonelines are temporarily closed. Click here for more information)