HS&E Test alternatives
Alternatives to taking a CITB Health, safety & environment test are as follows:
- You have commenced a recognised apprenticeship:
Applicants for Apprentice cards do not need to take the CITB Health, safety & environment test if they have completed the health and safety requirements relevant to their Apprenticeship Managing Agency within the last 2 years prior to applying for the card. Evidence accepted is:
- A letter or email from the Managing Agency of your apprenticeship (which must be clearly identified that they are a Managing Agency) confirming that you have met the Managing Agency’s Health and Safety requirements
- A certificate for a one-day Construction Health and Safety Awareness course
- A Construction Health and Safety unit included in your induction or initial qualification
- You have passed the CIC Health and Safety Test
CSCS have approved the acceptance of the CIC Health and Safety Test as equivalent to the CITB Manager and Professional (MAP) Level Health, safety and environment test for the purpose of applying for an Academically Qualified Persons card or a Professionally Qualified Persons CSCS card. The CIC Health and Safety Test must have been passed within two years of the application being made for either card.
Please note that the CIC Health and Safety test is only acceptable to apply for the Academically Qualified Persons card or Professionally Qualified Persons CSCS card and is not accepted for any other CSCS card.
- You hold a SOLAS card:
CSCS has a mutual recognition agreement with SOLAS (previously known as FAS (Eire) Safepass) which acts as an exemption to the Operative or Specialist CITB Health and Safety Test requirement providing that it has been completed within two years of the application being made.
Please note that SOLAS is not acceptable as an exemption to the Supervisor or Manager and Professional (MAP) level CITB Health, Safety and Environment tests.
If you have none of the above then you will need to take the CITB Health, Safety & Environment test before applying for a CSCS card.
Before the 2nd September 2019, applicants who had completed a construction related S/NVQ within the last two years were exempt from taking the CITB Health, safety & environment test. This exemption has now been withdrawn. More information about the withdrawal of this exemption can be found here.