Applying for a CSCS card
- How do I apply for a CSCS card?
Click here to find out how to apply for a CSCS card.
- What do I need to apply for my CSCS card?
You will need:
- A scanned copy of your qualification certificate, or proof that you are registered to complete a recognised construction related qualification relevant to your occupation. This will need to be uploaded as part of your application.
- The CITB test ID number from your CITB Health, safety and environment (HS&E) test, this can be found at the top of your pass certificate. You must have passed the appropriate test within the last 2 years.
- A credit or debit card to pay the £36 application fee.
- How much does a CSCS card cost?
CSCS cards cost £36 and the separate CITB Health, safety and environment test costs £22.50. There are organisations that offer card application services. If you are being charged more than £36 for a card or £22.50 for a CITB Health, safety & environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive.
- How long will it take for my CSCS card to be sent to me?
Most cards arrive at their requested destination within 10 working days of application. If your card has not been delivered to your requested destination within four weeks of your application, please contact CSCS. After 90 days, your application will be considered closed and a further payment of £36 will be required to process a replacement card.
- What if I hold an existing card?
If you already have an existing CSCS card you can claim this from our previous system. Please follow these simple steps to claim your card.
- Once you have created your online account, please select ‘My cards’ from the main menu, then select ‘Claim my card’.
- Enter your registration number and press enter.
- This will link your previous card to your new online account, while allowing to keep the same registration number.
You can then either renew your card, or apply for the same or a different card.
Please note: If your old card has expired or you hold a Labourer, PQP or AQP card you will not be able to renew. Instead, please make a new application and upload your qualifications when requested.
- I’m not qualified, what do I need to do?
The qualification you need to achieve will depend what job you do on a construction site. Check the requirements here
- How much does it cost to get qualified?
We are aware the cost of training to obtain a qualification can be an issue for many people seeking to enter the industry, or already employed and wishing to upskill.
The cost of training is determined by the numerous training companies delivering training and will vary depending on who is delivering the training and where in the UK the course is delivered.
There is a wide range of financial support available to both employees and the self-employed seeking to achieve qualifications within the UK construction industry. Below are some of the funding options for you to consider.
Click here for further information.
- What should I do if I suspect someone is using a fraudulent card?
Those with any information relating to suspected fraudulent or criminal activity linked to CSCS cards are encouraged to report it to CSCS directly. Any information received will be treated sensitively, and every effort will be made to protect the identity of the person reporting it.
When reporting information via the CSCS Smart Check app, please follow these instructions:
1. Retain the card if possible
2. Make photocopies or take photos of the front and back of the card
3. Record the cardholder’s name and address
4. Ask the cardholder where the card was obtained from
5. Select ‘Report suspected fraudulent card’ in the CSCS Smart Check app
6. Select the relevant scheme and attach images of both the front and the back of the card
7. Fill out the required information and submit the form.
Those not using the app can report information using the same process but via email at [email protected] or using the following postal address:
F.A.O – FRAUD INVESTIGATION TEAM
26 Store Street
- Can I get a refund if I decide that I do not need a CSCS card?
No. The CSCS application fee is non-refundable.
- Can I apply for the Black Managers card with a construction related academic qualification?
Those who have completed a construction related academic qualification should apply for the Academically Qualified Persons (AQP) card. This is available to people who have completed certain construction related degrees, HNDs, HNCs, CIOB Certificates and NEBOSH diplomas. Use the AQP search tool to find out if your qualification is accepted for an AQP card.
CSCS do not accept construction related academic qualifications for the Black Manager card. The Black Manager card is only available to those who have completed the relevant Construction Management related NVQ/SVQ level 4, 5, 6 or 7.
An NVQ/SVQ is gained by completing a range of practical tasks, demonstrating practical skills and displaying underpinning technical knowledge. Completing an NVQs does not require the undertaking of any particular learning program and taking formal written examinations.
An academic qualification is assessed through assignments, projects and practical tasks that you complete as part of the set course. Candidates may gain the skills and knowledge required for their job but the qualification does not include a practical assessment of the candidate’s work.
In summary – the NVQ is a practical and skills-based qualification and an academic qualification is a knowledge-based qualification.
This is why CSCS issue different cards to those who have completed an NVQ and those who have completed academic qualification. The black manager’s card demonstrates that the cardholder’s practical skills have been assessed, while the white AQP card demonstrates that the cardholder’s knowledge has been assessed.
This does not mean that the manager’s card has a higher standing than the AQP card; the cards are issued at equivalent levels of qualification. What matters is the occupation listed on the reverse of the card. Both the black manager’s card and the white AQP card (depending on the qualification), can have “Management” listed on the reverse of the card.