Applying for a CSCS card
- How do I apply for a CSCS card?
Click here to find out how to apply for a CSCS card.
- What do I need to apply for my CSCS card?
You will need:
- A scanned copy of your qualification certificate, or proof that you are registered to complete a recognised construction related qualification relevant to your occupation. This will need to be uploaded as part of your application.
- The CITB test ID number from your CITB Health, safety and environment (HS&E) test, this can be found at the top of your pass certificate. You must have passed the appropriate test within the last 2 years.
- A credit or debit card to pay the £36 application fee.
- How much does a CSCS card cost?
CSCS cards cost £36 and the separate CITB Health, safety and environment test costs £22.50. There are organisations that offer card application services. If you are being charged more than £36 for a card or £22.50 for a CITB Health, safety & environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive.
- How long will it take for my CSCS card to be sent to me?
Most cards arrive at their requested destination within 10 working days of application. If your card has not been delivered to your requested destination within four weeks of your application, please contact CSCS. After 90 days, your application will be considered closed and a further payment of £36 will be required to process a replacement card.
- What if I hold an existing card?
If you already have an existing CSCS card you can claim this from our previous system. Please follow these simple steps to claim your card.
- Once you have created your online account, please select ‘My cards’ from the main menu, then select ‘Claim my card’.
- Enter your registration number and press enter.
- This will link your previous card to your new online account, while allowing to keep the same registration number.
You can then either renew your card, or apply for the same or a different card.
Please note: If your old card has expired or you hold a Labourer, PQP or AQP card you will not be able to renew. Instead, please make a new application and upload your qualifications when requested.
- I’m not qualified, what do I need to do?
The qualification you need to achieve will depend what job you do on a construction site. Check the requirements here
- How much does it cost to get qualified?
We are aware the cost of training to obtain a qualification can be an issue for many people seeking to enter the industry, or already employed and wishing to upskill.
The cost of training is determined by the numerous training companies delivering training and will vary depending on who is delivering the training and where in the UK the course is delivered.
There is a wide range of financial support available to both employees and the self-employed seeking to achieve qualifications within the UK construction industry. Below are some of the funding options for you to consider.
Click here for further information.
- What should I do if I suspect someone is using a fraudulent card?
Those with any information relating to suspected fraudulent or criminal activity linked to CSCS cards are encouraged to report it to CSCS directly. Any information received will be treated sensitively, and every effort will be made to protect the identity of the person reporting it.
When reporting information via the CSCS Smart Check app, please follow these instructions:
1. Retain the card if possible
2. Make photocopies or take photos of the front and back of the card
3. Record the cardholder’s name and address
4. Ask the cardholder where the card was obtained from
5. Select ‘Report suspected fraudulent card’ in the CSCS Smart Check app
6. Select the relevant scheme and attach images of both the front and the back of the card
7. Fill out the required information and submit the form.
Those not using the app can report information using the same process but via email at [email protected] or using the following postal address:
F.A.O – FRAUD INVESTIGATION TEAM
26 Store Street
- Can I get a refund if I decide that I do not need a CSCS card?
No. The CSCS application fee is non-refundable.
- Can I apply for the Black Managers card with a construction related academic qualification?
Those who have completed a construction related academic qualification should apply for the Academically Qualified Persons (AQP) card. This is available to people who have completed certain construction related degrees, HNDs, HNCs, CIOB Certificates and NEBOSH diplomas. Use the AQP search tool to find out if your qualification is accepted for an AQP card.
CSCS do not accept construction related academic qualifications for the Black Manager card. The Black Manager card is only available to those who have completed the relevant Construction Management related NVQ/SVQ level 4, 5, 6 or 7.
An NVQ/SVQ is gained by completing a range of practical tasks, demonstrating practical skills and displaying underpinning technical knowledge. Completing an NVQs does not require the undertaking of any particular learning program and taking formal written examinations.
An academic qualification is assessed through assignments, projects and practical tasks that you complete as part of the set course. Candidates may gain the skills and knowledge required for their job but the qualification does not include a practical assessment of the candidate’s work.
In summary – the NVQ is a practical and skills-based qualification and an academic qualification is a knowledge-based qualification.
This is why CSCS issue different cards to those who have completed an NVQ and those who have completed academic qualification. The black manager’s card demonstrates that the cardholder’s practical skills have been assessed, while the white AQP card demonstrates that the cardholder’s knowledge has been assessed.
This does not mean that the manager’s card has a higher standing than the AQP card; the cards are issued at equivalent levels of qualification. What matters is the occupation listed on the reverse of the card. Both the black manager’s card and the white AQP card (depending on the qualification), can have “Management” listed on the reverse of the card.
- Other than my trade or occupation can I have other qualifications printed on my CSCS card?
Qualifications that can be printed on a CSCS card are:
- City & Guilds Craft Certificate
- City & Guilds Advanced Craft Certificate
- SCOTVEC Advanced Craft Certificate
- Winter Maintenance Qualified (for Highway Maintenance Operatives)
- Indentured Apprenticeship (where this is not the main Route of Entry)
- CAS (Construction Apprenticeship Scheme)
To add these qualifications to a card, copies of certificates must be sent to CSCS. If they are included with the initial applications there is no additional charge. If a request is made for them to be added after a card has been issued an additional £36.00 must be paid for a new card.
- I've lost my apprenticeship certificate. What should I do?
Depending on the type of apprenticeship you completed, one of the following organisations may be able to help you:
The National Joint Council for the Building Industry – Tel: 0844 576 3556
In Scotland – Building Apprenticeship and Training Council – Tel: 0131 556 8866
National Joint Council for the Thermal Insulation Contracting Industry – Tel: 01325 466704
The National Joint Council for the Felt Roofing Contracting Industry – Tel: 01444 440027
National Joint Council for the Flat Glass Industry – Tel: 020 7403 7177
Mastic Asphalt Council – Tel: 01424 814400
- Do FAS/SOLAS Safepass cardholders need to take the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test to apply for a CSCS Card?
FÀS/SOLAS Safepass cardholders are exempt from having to take the Operatives level of the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test when applying for a CSCS card. This is providing the Safepass has been achieved in the last two years.
FÀS/SOLAS Safepass cardholders are not exempt from having to take the Manager and Professionals level of the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.
- How does the card application process differ between an Employers Apprenticeship and an Approved Appenticeship?
There are two routes to obtain a CSCS Card through an apprenticeship.
Employers Apprenticeship (Blue & Gold Card)
The card applicant will need to provide a copy of their final completion certificate from the employer with whom they completed the apprenticeship with details of when it was completed. They will also need to provide copies of their Individual’s City & Guilds (Craft or Advanced) Certificates. The applicant will then be issued with a blue CSCS Card if they have the Employers Apprenticeship and Craft City & Guilds. A gold CSCS Card will be issued if they provide copies of Advanced Craft City & Guilds Certificates with the Apprenticeship Papers.
Approved Apprenticeship (Gold Card)
The card applicant will need to provide copies of their fully Indentured Apprenticeship papers gained through the apprenticeship provider eg NJCBI. Different providers will have different types of certificates for their apprenticeship.
If the card applicant can provide copies of City & Guilds Certificates with this as well, this will be included on the reverse of the card.
If the card applicant does not have their apprenticeship documents find out more about the appeals process here.
- How do I find out which CSCS card I should apply for?
To find out what card you need for your occupation please use the card finder on the CSCS website. This will also confirm which HS&E test is required.
- Who owns a CSCS card?
CSCS cards remain the exclusive property of CSCS. Cards are issued to and must be kept in the named cardholder’s secure possession at all times. CSCS reserves the right to unilaterally withdraw a card.
- I have just passed the CITB Health, safety and Environment test. Why can’t I get a card?
To apply for most CSCS cards, applicants must:
- Provide evidence that they have achieved (or are in the processing of achieving) a nationally recognised construction related qualification relevant to their occupation.
- Pass the appropriate CITB Health, safety and environment test.
- Apply for a CSCS card by calling 0344 994 4777
Unless an applicant has fulfilled all 3 of the above steps, they will not get a CSCS card.