Overseas qualifications

NOTE: From 1st December 2017, overseas construction workers wishing to work in the UK will have the technical content of their overseas qualification mapped against the relevant UK National Occupational Standard for that occupation. Read more here.

If you have a construction related qualification that was awarded outside the UK and is not currently recognised by CSCS you should contact UK NARIC. UK NARIC will review your qualification and determine whether or not it is comparable to an NVQ, SVQ or an approved qualification appropriate to your occupation.

If UK NARIC confirms that your qualification is an acceptable alternative to a UK awarded qualification which is recognised by CSCS then you should email the following to [email protected]

  1. UK NARIC Statement of Comparability for Construction Skills for Academic qualifications
  2. *Or UK NARIC Statement of Comparability for Construction Skills with skills mapping chart for vocational qualifications
  3. Primary Source Verification(PSV) Report (issued by UK NARIC / DataFlow Group **
  4. Copy of your original qualification (preferably translated)
  5. Fully completed CSCS application form, including which occupation you wish to apply for (full list found here).

Once this information is received CSCS will review your application and if all the documents are correct we will decide whether your qualification is suitable for a CSCS card.

*Applicants for the Academically Qualified Person (AQP) CSCS cards will continue to use standard UK NARIC Statements of Comparability for their qualifications, without mapping, but will also require a PSV.*

**For the avoidance of doubt those applicants who applied to UK NARIC before the stated dates above will need to re-apply to UK NARIC for Primary Source Verification Report / UK NARIC Statement of Comparability for Construction Skills with skills mapping chart **

Please note: If you hold a NVQ, Degree, FETAC or QQI qualification issued in the Republic of Ireland*** you can apply directly to CSCS, you do not need to contact UK NARIC. For all other overseas qualifications please contact UK NARIC. ***this is following a recent review on 26.03.19 by CSCS Scheme Owners ***