Skip Content

Funding for training

We are aware the cost of training to obtain a qualification can be an issue for many people seeking to enter the industry, or already employed and wishing to upskill.

The cost of training is determined by the numerous training companies delivering training and will vary depending on who is delivering the training and where in the UK the course is delivered.

There is a wide range of financial support available to both employees and the self-employed seeking to achieve qualifications within the UK construction industry.

While CSCS does not provide training or funding, some of the funding options available elsewhere are listed below.

Finding funding for training

Grants are available to CITB registered employers and these grants are used to support training the workforce.

If you are an employee, ask your employer if they are registered with CITB and, if so, whether they can claim a grant for your training.

Please note that many small employers and the self-employed that don’t need to pay the levy may also be able to apply for a grant. You must meet the requirements as set out by CITB and register your company with CITB before making an application.

Further details can be found on CITB’s website.

Funding may be available locally to support your training needs. CSCS recommends that you contact the training providers in your local area to discuss what funding is available.

There are also the Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) that may have access to funding in your area. LEPs are voluntary partnerships between local authorities and businesses set up to promote economic growth and job creation within the local area.

Those who are unemployed, should make an appointment with their work coach at their local Job Centre. They will be able to confirm what funding is available to assist the journey into work.

Those unemployed for three months or more may qualify for grant funding through the B&CE charitable trust.

An eligible person is anyone who is able to evidence they have been a construction worker with a minimum of 12 months’ construction employment as a “tradesperson” (at any time within their employment history).

If you are unsure about what funding is available for your occupation, or you require assistance in making a funding request, please contact the trade association for your occupation for further advice and support.