CSCS Smart Check
- How do you show that you have checked a CSCS card?
CSCS Smart Check won’t store information about checked cards, besides the initial card verified screen, although photos of that screen can be taken outside of the app and stored separately if the user wishes.
Other systems already exist for the auditing of personnel on contracts and some schemes have links or offer such services separately. The CSCS Smart Check Delivery Group will also be considering further enhancement to the technology going forward.
- Can we still use CSCS Smart Check if we use MSite or Biosite?
Both Msite and Biosite will continue to function as normal. At the moment, CSCS Smart Check doesn’t link to any IT partners, it will solely check cards, so all processes continue as normal regarding these systems.
- Where can we watch the CSCS Smart Check webinar and explainer videos?
Please see below for a recording of the webinar presentation and a suite of explainer videos, both of which are hosted on the CSCS YouTube channel.
- Will any card schemes be unavailable to check through CSCS Smart Check come April 1st?
The following schemes will be going live on the app later in April.
CSWIP, IPAF, ADSA, CISRS, LEEA, CPCS, ACE, PASMA, MPQC, SAFed, SEIRS, SSPC, Trainthepainter, ICATS
For these schemes, users should proceed with the usual method of validation, up until the Phase 2 release of the application later in Spring 2022.
Please also note the following schemes may be slightly delayed and will likely go live shortly after the launch date of April 1st: Allianz, ADIA, CSR, HSB EIL, SNIJIB.
- When will CSCS Smart Check be available?
CSCS Smart Check was launched on April 1st 2022 and is available to download now via the App Store and Google Play.
- Does the app tell employers about previous working locations or historic information on cards, categories, exams or Health and Safety tests?
No, CSCS Smart Check will only verify that the card is valid. It won’t provide any further information beyond Cardholder Photo ID, Cardholder Name, Cardholder Job Title, Cardholder Qualifications and Card Expiry Date.
Employers should contact the relevant card scheme about this type of functionality where it exists, such as ECS Check.
- If a card has been lost or stolen and a replacement card issued, would the old card show as valid on CSCS Smart Check?
This would depend on the scheme in question. Provided the lost or stolen card has been flagged and removed from the respective database, it will not be recognised as valid by CSCS Smart Check. Similarly, provided the replacement card has been registered and is active, it can be verified by CSCS Smart Check.
- Can Health, safety and environment test scorecards be used to verify cards with CSCS Smart Check?
No. The HSE test is only one of the requirements to apply for a card – card applications are based on qualifications and other documentation, rather than solely a HSE test.
Please note that virtual cards, where available, can be used on site almost immediately once the application is approved and prior to a physical card arriving.
- If the card doesn't show on CSCS Smart Check, would you expect this to be a case of fraud?
There are a number of possible reasons for a card not showing up on the app and fraud is one of them.
Other reasons include; the card has expired, the card is damaged or broken, details have not been inputted correctly during a manual check or there is no internet or data signal.
- How long is the transition period for CSCS Smart Check?
There are no plans to set a time limit, but all sites are expected and encouraged to migrate to CSCS Smart Check over time.
The project team are keen to point out that there will be no immediate impact on existing card checking operations and employers can continue to use their existing card checking systems if required.
Over the coming months the project team will reach out to employers and stakeholders to begin the process of enabling existing card checking systems to become compatible with the new app.