Withdrawal of the CITB HSE test exemption
- Why are CSCS removing this exemption to passing the CITB Health, safety and environment test?
CSCS are bound by the requirements of the Industrial Strategy for Construction. The Industrial Strategy is overseen by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) who, in 2015, announced that all card schemes displaying the CSCS logo should only issue skilled cards to applicants who hold nationally recognised construction related qualifications and have passed a separate health and safety element.
Accepting the recent completion of an N/SVQ as an exemption to taking the CITB Health, safety and environment test does not meet the requirements of the CLC and as such the exemption will be withdrawn.
You can find out more about the CLC at www.cscs.uk.com/clc
- Are all exemptions being removed?
Two other exemptions to the CITB Health, safety and environment test will remain. These are:
- The exemption gained by obtaining a SOLAS Safe Pass card within the last 2 years (for operatives only)
- The exemption gained by competing the health and safety requirements of an apprenticeship (for apprentices only)
- When will the exemption be removed?
The exemption will be removed on the 2nd September 2019
- What happens if I apply with the exemption before 2nd September 2019?
Applicants who apply with the exemption before 2nd September 2019 will still be able to use the exemption and will not be required to have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test.
- How much does the CITB Health, safety and environment test cost?
The cost of the test is £21.
There are some organisations who will charge you more. If you are asked to pay more than £21, find out what the additional cost is for before you decide to pay the additional fees.
Please note: The price of the HS&E test will rise to £22 from the 1st April 2021.
- What if I obtained my CSCS card using the exemption?
Your CSCS card will remain valid until the expiry date listed on the card. You will then need to pass the CITB Health, safety and environment test to renew your card.
- How long is a CITB Health, safety and environment test valid for?
For the purposes of applying for a CSCS card the CITB Health, safety and environment test must have been passed within the last 2 years. After 2 years CSCS requires applicants to retake the test.
- Who owns the Health, safety and environment test?
The test is owned and managed by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB).
There is a common misconception that the test is owned by CSCS and it is often referred to as the CSCS test, this is incorrect.
CSCS’s role is to simply verify that applicants have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test (within the last 2 years).
- How do I book a CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test
Call 0344 994 4488. Lines are open from 8am to 8pm Mondays to Fridays, and from 8am to 12pm on Saturdays.
Contact your local ITC centre that facilitates the HS&E Test.