Skip Content

New not renew

Labourer, Academically Qualified Person (AQP) and Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) cards cannot be renewed. Holders of these cards are required to apply for a new CSCS card rather than apply to renew an existing card.

When making a new card application you are required to submit all the appropriate documentation to support your application, this includes copies of your qualifications and/or evidence of your professional body membership.

Labourer card

There are numerous approved routes to obtaining the Labourer card, ranging from a lifetime qualification to a number of training courses that need to be renewed every 3-5 years.

The sheer number of renewal requirements introduces a great deal of complexity to the application process and it was for this reason that CSCS has withdrawn the renewal service for Labourer cards.

All Labourer card applications must now be new applications. This requires the applicant to submit a copy of their qualification/training course certificate as part of the new card application.

Visit the Labourer card page for further information on making an application.

Academically Qualified Person

CSCS has introduced a new process where the title of qualification (degree, HND, HNC etc) is displayed on the reverse of the card, for example Quantity Surveying Degree will be displayed.

CSCS will require a copy of your qualification certificate each time you apply for a card as the qualification title on the certificate must match what is displayed on the card.

Visit the Academically Qualified Person page for further information on making an application.

Professionally Qualified Person

All applicants are required to supply proof that they hold current membership of the professional body and the evidence must be for the current year.

All Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) card applications must be new applications. The reason for this is that previous PQP cards have only been endorsed with the Professional Body name, however, cards will now also be endorsed with the applicants level of membership with the relevant Professional Body. In order to capture this information it requires the applicants to submit a copy of their evidence as part of a new card application.

Visit the Professionally Qualified Person page for further information on making an application.


Following discussions with certain occupational groups, CSCS will require another copy of your qualification certificate before being able to renew your card. This is to ensure that the correct title and endorsements are used on your new card.

  • General Construction Operations (this title has changed to Groundworker)
  • Maintenance Operative/Operations/Multi-trade repair
  • Passive Fire Protection
  • Steel Erector
  • Land Drilling Lead Driller
  • Roadbuilding Surface dressing Machine

Visit the Card Finder for further detailed information on making an application for these occupations.